Not sure whether to buy insurance at the car rental counter? Here's how to figure out what the smart move is.
When You Don't Need Supplemental Car Rental Insurance
If you're like most Americans, you can skip the collision damage waiver offered at the rental counter, as it likely duplicates coverage you already have. This guideline applies if:
You own a car. It's highly likely that your car insurance extends to rental
cars. To be sure, call your insurance company and ask:
- Do I have collision and comprehensive coverage on my policy?
- Does my collision and comprehensive coverage extend to rental cars?
- Are there any limits on what kind of cars I'll be covered for?
- Am I covered for Loss Of Use and Diminution of Value?
- What risks do I run if I file a claim for damage to a rental car?