AutoSlash users come to our website to find the lowest possible prices on their rentals. We also recommend users avail themselves of the various loyalty programs offered by the rental car companies (except Payless), as the program benefits often lead to cheaper, upgraded experiences!
Avis is offering an online "App and Match" promotion through the months of May and June 2017 to create awareness of their new app, tied to their Avis Preferred program. Entries are allowed daily from now until June 30, 2017. The prizes?
- 1 Grand Prize -- A check for $5,000
- 10 Instant Win Prizes -- A certificate for a one-week rental
- 100 Instant Win Prizes -- A certificate for a one-day rental
The most likely outcome? Just the experience of going through a quick game of "Memory" where the user learns about a few of the features of the Avis app. Like the other apps, a renter has to be a member of the loyalty program -- and thus accruing benefits from the rental car company -- in order for the app to have any use.
While the AutoSlash team doesn't book through apps unless we're booking free award days, we are excited about the features the rental car companies are beginning to incorporate into their apps that help at the time of pickup and during the rental. The Avis app mirrors a lot of the features of the Hertz and National apps; that's expected as those three companies compete extensively for business travelers. Some of the features within Avis' app include:
- Notification of the vehicle's assigned space (at participating locations),
- The ability to switch and confirm a different car model (at participating locations),
- Options to change the drop-off dates/times, and even location from the app (at an additional charge, of course),
- Functions to lock and unlock the car, combined with the ability to flash the car's lights to locate the vehicle, on Avis' connected cars (for those who fail at the real-life game of Memory ...) and
- The possibility of self-return, including listing mileage and fuel. This is the feature we're least excited about. We've encountered too many stories about unattended returns that are declared to have damage when the rental car company checks the vehicle back in, and even some tales where the car's left overnight and disappears ... We need the peace of mind given by having a check-in receipt or e-mail at the conclusion of our rentals and hope this isn't just a way for Avis to lessen their labor costs at airports.
The promotion doesn't offer much -- I received a code for a discount on a rental that AutoSlash could already beat. Perhaps one day, Avis will take a lesson from firms like American Airlines, Enterprise, and National, all of which occasionally give award points as an incentive to engage in activities related to their respective loyalty programs.
Ready to reserve your next rental? Click below to request a quote now.