Rarely do rental car companies introduce contests that only last a few days but Hertz -- an Official Partner of the 2018 International Champions Cup -- has launched a contest providing entrants the opportunity to win two tickets to any of the 17 matches to be held in the United States. And with the matches starting in just over a week, there's effectively no turnaround time for many winners to get on the scene! Per the contest rules, entries (limit one per person) require social media, tagging a friend, and putting in hashtags for the team (or up to three teams) one would want to see. And Hertz promises a random drawing among eligible entrants, with two pairs of tickets being distributed for each of the 17 matches hosted in the United States.
What's included in the Contest Prizes
The contest only lasts through July 15, 2018, and winners will receive two tickets to a soccer match, with no other consideration. Transportation to/from the soccer match, hotel, and rental car are not provided; the contest rules don't even throw out the possibility of rental car discounts for the contest winners -- it's really just two tickets to see world-class soccer. And noting the single entry requires tagging a friend and up to three potential teams, the best chance might be to find a friend who will also enter the contest! It's clear that some areas will be far more blessed than others when it comes to events with just 17 matches in the United States; Pennsylvania will get two fine soccer matches on the same day (including one with Cristiano Ronaldo) with other regions having no events nearby. The nearest venue to my home will be an 8-hour drive away!
What are the possible matches?
There are 17 matches in the United States, with four tickets being given away at each (two pairs). And while the contest is stated as random, some matches will be more desired and thus have more entries than others.
- July 20, Chicago, IL: Manchester City @ Borussia Dortmund
- July 22, Charlotte, NC: Liverpool @ Borussia Dortmund
- July 25, Philadelphia, PA: Juventus @ FC Bayern
- July 25, Pittsburgh, PA: Borussia Dortmund @ Benfica
- July 25: East Rutherford, NJ: Manchester City @ Liverpool
- July 25, San Diego, CA: AS Roma @ Tottenham Hotspur
- July 25, Los Angeles, CA: Inter Milan @ Manchester United
- July 28, Harrison, NJ: Benfica @ Juventus
- July 28, Ann Arbor, MI: Manchester United @ Liverpool
- July 28, Miami, FL: FC Bayern @ Manchester City
- July 28, Pasadena, CA: Barcelona @ Tottenham
- July 31, Miami, FL: Manchester United @ Atlético de Madrid
- July 31, Minneapolis, MN: Tottenham Hotspur @ Inter Milan
- July 31, Dallas, TX: Barcelona @ AS Roma
- August 4, Washington, D.C.: Atlético de Madrid @ Juventus
- August 4, Santa Clara, CA: Inter Milan @ Barcelona
- August 7, East Rutherford, NJ: Atlético de Madrid @ AS Roma
These matches won't have notable stars such as Ariaga, Ariaga II, Bariaga, Arugula, and Pizzoza but many of the best players and clubs in the world will be participating, including Ronaldo with his new club Juventus. Travelers might even find an ability to pair up multiple major events into a single trip, such as EAA's AirVenture in Oshkosh, Wisconsin overlapping with the Ann Arbor, Michigan ManU / Liverpool tilt. Sounds like we just found an excuse for travel, whether we win the Hertz competition or not!