Trying to get to top-tier status with Hertz? If you're a road warrior, you might be able to get there through your hotel loyalty program. Marriott Bonvoy and Hertz Gold Plus Rewards have teamed up to offer Marriott's most prolific traveler complimentary top-tier elite status with Hertz.
Following a massive merger, Marriott Bonvoy is the new name for the program that replaces Marriott Rewards, The Ritz-Carlton Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG). Comprised of a portfolio of 30 hotel brands, Marriott Bonvoy allows its members to earn and redeem points for hotel stays and accelerate the points they earn with co-branded credit cards from Chase and American Express.
Hertz Status Levels and Marriott Bonvoy Membership
It's not easy to achieve top-tier status with Marriott Bonvoy. Here's how it breaks down.
- All Marriott Bonvoy members receive Hertz Gold Plus Rewards membership.
- Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite members receive automatic Hertz Gold Plus Rewards Five Star status. This level is typically earned after 75 nights and comparable to the old Marriott Platinum level.
- Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite members receive free Hertz Gold Plus Rewards President's Circle status. This is the top tier in the new Marriott program and requires 100 elite-qualifying nights and $20,000 in qualifying spend.
Marriott Bonvoy members can receive Hertz Gold Plus Rewards points instead of Marriott Bonvoy points if desired. To make this election, Marriott Bonvoy members with Ambassador Elite status must include their Hertz Gold Plus Rewards number in their Hertz reservation and request Hertz Gold Plus Rewards points (and not Marriott Bonvoy points or any other currency) as their form of currency in the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program. Members may not receive both Hertz Gold Plus Rewards points and Marriott Bonvoy points for the same transaction.
It's no easy task to spend at least 75 nights a year on the road, but this is precisely the customer that hotels and rental car companies want to attract. We always recommend joining travel brand loyalty programs and taking advantage of credit card status perks.
Having President's Circle status with Hertz lets you skip lines, upgrade vehicles, earn award days faster, and have access to wider selections of vehicles. And when major events like snowstorms, hurricanes, or major IT errors arise at airports, a customer with elite status gets served before a customer who doesn't participate in the loyalty program.
Elite Status with National Car Rental Through Status Matching
Best of all for frequent travelers, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards isn't the only game in town. National Car Rental has an open status match program for elite members of other travel programs, including hotels and rental car companies. So, if you've got top-tier status with Marriott Bonvoy, you can automatically qualify for elite status in at least two major rental car programs with limited effort.
- The Best Car Rental Rewards Programs
- Is the Chase Sapphire Reserve Card the Best Way to Pay for a Rental Car?