Planning to rent a car overseas? You're not alone. One quarter of Americans plan to take an international vacation over the next 18 months, according to a recent travel survey by the American Automobile Association (AAA).
The AAA found that 80 percent of Americans have taken at least one vacation outside the United States and nearly 77 million adults have rented a vehicle outside the country. Significantly, AAA reports a 33 percent increase in the number of International Driving Permits (IDPs) sold in the last five years.
Top Destinations for International Car Rentals
Where are you heading? These are the top international travel destinations, based on AAA Travel bookings over the next 18 months:
- Rome, Italy: Find out our top tips for renting a car in Italy.
- Cancun, Mexico: Learn whether you can drive a rental car from the U.S. into Mexico and get a heads up on this Mexico rental car gotcha.
- London, England: Read our guide to renting a car in the United Kingdom.
- Dublin, Ireland: Find out eight things to know about renting a car in Ireland and learn about this common rental car scam on the Emerald Isle.
- Paris, France: Find out our top tips for renting a car in France.
- Montego Bay, Jamaica: Check out our guide to renting a car in Jamaica.
- Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada: Here's what you need to know about driving a rental car into Canada.
- Munich, Germany: Read up on nine things to know about renting a car in Germany.
- Barcelona, Spain: Find out our top tips for renting a car in Spain.
When renting a car in another country, it's particularly important to understand what car rental insurance you have through your credit card and whether you may need to top up your coverage. Be sure to pay with a credit card that delivers significant travel benefits.