Considering using a rental car for a side hustle as a Lyft driver? The company is making it easier by expanding its driver-support services, including a program that provides rental cars to drivers.
Lyft has ramped up its Express Drive rental program, which provides vehicles to Lyft drivers who don't own cars. Lyft launched Express Drive in 2016 and so far has partnerships with Hertz and Flexdrive.
Approved Car Rental Lyft Partners
Lyft has partnerships in place with Hertz and Flexdrive—but note that they are location-specific.
Where is Express Drive Available
Available in: Atlanta, Austin, Baltimore, Boston, Charlotte, Chicago, Cleveland, Columbus, Dallas/Fort Worth, Denver, Detroit, Fort Worth, Houston, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Matawan, Miami, Milwaukee, Nashville, New Orleans, New York, Oakland, Orange County, Orlando, Philadelphia, Phoenix, Pittsburgh, Portland, Raleigh-Durham, Richmond, Sacramento, Salt Lake City, San Antonio, San Diego, San Francisco, San Jose, Seattle, Tacoma, Tampa Bay, and Washington, D.C.
What to Know About Driving a Rental Car for Lyft
Costs vary by city and rental car provider but average around $180 per week, before taxes and fees. Drivers can also earn Rental Rewards to cover part or all of their weekly rental costs, not including taxes. Rewards are based on how many rides you give and maintenance of a 90 percent ride acceptance rate. Lyft requires about 75 weekly rides to eliminate rental fees altogether. That would require a significant time commitment, so it's a good way to test the full-time driver lifestyle.
Other factors to keep in mind:
- You must be at least 25 and own an iPhone or Android phone.
- You can start your application online or through the Lyft app. After you pass the required background checks and vehicle inspection, you can pick up your rental. As part of our approval process, you'll undergo a DMV check, plus a national and county background check. This will require a Social Security number. In addition to an in-state driver's license that is at least a year old.
- You need to pay a refundable deposit that you'll get back when you stop using Express Drive. It's not a penalty charge, and is used to cover outstanding charges on your rental.
- You can rent the car for as long as you like, and schedule a return anytime after your first seven days.
- Maintenance and roadside assistance are included.
- There is a deductible.
- Your Express Drive rental comes with unlimited miles, so you can earn with Lyft and drive for personal use. Note that you may only drive out of state for official Lyft ride use, not for personal use.